Mykhailo Andriienko-Nechytailo (French Michel Andreenko also known as Mikhail Andriyenko-Nechitailo) was a French painter, modernist artist, stage designer, short story writer.
He was Born in Odessa, spent his childhood in Kherson. In 1910 – 1912 at the exhibitions of the Kherson Society of Fine Arts Lovers exhibited his early painting. In 1912 he entered the Faculty of Law of St. Petersburg University and at the same time – at the drawing school of the Society of Petersburg Artists, where he studied under Rylov, Rerikh and Bilibin. Participated in exhibitions of students of the art school of the Society of Petersburg Artists. He worked as a decorator in the theater of the Literary and Art Society, as an illustrator in the newspaper “Voice of Life”.
After graduating from university, in 1918 he returned from Petrograd to Kherson, and then moved to Odessa, where he worked as a stage designer at the Chamber Theater. Then through Romania immigrated to Czechoslovakia. In 1921 – 1923 He lived in Prague, where he worked at the Russian Chamber Theater; at the end of 1923 he moved to Paris. In Paris, he collaborated with several theaters, made sets for films. He participated in exhibitions of Russian artists in the Parisian cafe La Rotonde (1925), the International Theater Exhibition in New York (1926), a group exhibition in the Galerie Hirschmann (April 1931).
He was a member of the Parisian group of Ukrainian artists, was one of the founders of the Association of Ukrainian Artists in Paris, participated in the First Exhibition of the Association of Independent Ukrainian Artists in Lviv (1931), and exhibitions of Ukrainian Parisians in Paris (1932) and Lviv (1933). In 1934, the Association of Independent Ukrainian Artists published a monograph on the artist. He participated in post-war exhibitions organized in France by the Union of Soviet Patriots (1945, 1946, 1947) and the Committee “France —SSSR” (1945).
His solo exhibitions were held in Paris in the galleries F. Houston-Brown (1964), J. Shalom (1972) and “22” (1974), in Florence in 1964, in Rome in 1965, in West Berlin (together with Alexandra Exter) in 1974, in Geneva in 1974 and in Amsterdam in 1976. Often published articles in emigrant publications, Russian and Ukrainian, in France and West Germany. He was a friend with Sergei Sharshun.
As a set designer, Michel Andreenko in the 1920s makes extensive use of cubists’ finds and engages in non-objective painting. Some of his works of those years are called constructivist. In the 30s he became close to the surrealists, after the war he painted portraits and landscapes. In the late 1950s, he returned to abstraction.
The works of Michel Andreenko are in the City of Paris Museum of modern art, the Victoria and Albert Museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Lviv State Museum, the Arsenal Library in Paris and the National Library in Vienna.