Bernard Schultze1915 — 2005
Bernard Schultze was a German artist, the most important representative of German abstract painting of the 1950s – 60s. Born in the western Polish lands, which at that time were part of Germany, since 1922 he lived in Berlin. In 1934-39 studied at the Higher School of Art Education (Hochschule für Kunsterziehung) in Berlin and the Academy of Arts (Kunstakademie) in Dusseldorf. From 1939 to 1945 he fought.
In 1947, the artist’s father, a judge by profession, was appointed to the High Court of the Land (Oberlandesgericht) in Frankfurt. Bernard Schultze settled with his father in this city. At this time, he often visited Paris at exhibitions of informational artists and in 1951 he began to paint abstract paintings.
In December 1952, the famous exhibition of the Quadriga group was held in Frankfurt. The group included four abstract artists – Bernard Schultze, Karl Otto Götz, Otto Grace and Heinz Kreutz. This was the first avant-garde art group in Germany after a long domination of Nazi “realism”.
In 1955, Bernard Schultze married the artist Ursula Blum. In 1968 they moved to Cologne.
In 1966, he received the William Lot prize from the city of Darmstadt. In 1972 he was elected a member of the Berlin Academy of Arts. In 1981, he was proclaimed titular professor in North Rhine-Westphalia. In 1984, Bernard Schultze was awarded the Großer Hessischer Kulturpreis Prize, 1986 – the Lovis Corinth Medal, in 1989 – the North Rhine-Westphalia State Order of Honor, in 1990 – the Stefan Lochner Medal, in 1998 – the Cross for Merit to Germany, and in 2002 – the Binding- Kulturpreis.
1980s – 1990s – the time of great retrospectives of the artist. In those same years he worked energetically, creating large, monumental canvases. It is also known as an outstanding schedule.
Among the museums whose collections include Bernard Schultze’s works are the Ludwig Museum in Cologne, the Städel Museum in Frankfurt am Main, MUMOK in Vienna, he Boymans-Van Beuningen Museum, The Center Pompidou, Tate Gallery in London, MoMA in New York, Harvard Museum of Art. His paintings adorn the dining room of the Hammerschmidt villa in Bonn (the residence of the President of Germany until the mid-1990s).