Michael Chernishov* 1945
Soviet and American artist, painter, graphic artist, author of performances and installations. He studied at the Zagorsk Art and Industrial College, then at the Moscow State University at the Department of Theory and History of Art. In the 1960s, he was close to Mikhail Roginsky, participated in the exhibition “Pop Art in the USSR” (1964). Then he became close to Vyacheslav Koleychuk and began to study pure geometric abstraction.
In 1961, the artist finds a theme that he is still developing: doubling, or, as he puts it, “shifting the symmetry to the edge of the sheet plane in a ratio of 1:2 for each subsequent element.” To present to the public abstract works made in accordance with this principle, he was allowed temporary relief in the art policy of the Soviet Union after the Bulldozer exhibition: artists were granted the right to briefly exhibit their works in the open air. In 1976 Michael Chernishov and Boris Bich held a small exhibition “Doubling” (with elements of land art and performance) in the Vorontsov Park in Moscow. In 1978 the Tsaritsyno Park hosted the exhibition “Doubling II”, which was attended by five artists, including Chernishov.
The artist’s interest in drawing, typography, and pictographs, which has persisted since the 1960s is reflected in another important motif of his painting – images of airplanes.
In 1978 the first retrospective of Michael Chernishov was held in the City Committee of Graphics. In 1980 he emigrated from the USSR. Since 1981 he has lived in the United States. Author of the book “Moscow 1961-67” (New York, 1987). The artist’s works are in the collections of the State Tretyakov Gallery, the Russian Museum, The National Center for Contemporary Art and other museums.